FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:08 am
HoKo

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

So I thought it would be fun and educational to hear about some of the better trips that people have booked using miles. I'm thinking the best way to do this is:

1. First, post the best use of miles that you have redeemed for that is still currently available for booking (this could be very useful for people like myself trying to see just what is possible and how I can max out my miles)

2. Second, post the best use of miles that you have ever redeemed for (even if it is no longer available)

3. I was debating about including hotel points but I think the thread might get a little bit out of hand so I decided to focus it just on airline redemptions and if people enjoy this thread then I'll make another one for hotel redemptions

So, while I have been on FT Since July '10 I've only taken 2 trips booked using miles and neither of them were anything special as far as maximizing value but here goes:

1. The better of my 2 trips was probably the first award flight I've ever booked. I booked IAD - PRG - BUD - IAD open jaw flying LH metal in Y for 55K UA miles (earned primarily from the UA 50K CC promo) + $100 in taxes and fees.
2. I have never made any award bookings that are no longer available so I guess this is a N/A for me.

Haha I remember being quite proud of myself for that open jaw booking since only a week previous I had been one of those people that 'just didn't get it' and thought FF miles were useless.

How about all of you?