FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - relocating to SIN, new FFP and Creditcard
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:59 pm
Mickey4finger

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
Your question is clear but how to respond probably isn't.

On the credit card with FFP linkage - it might be better if you think about your basic travel pattern to decide what will be your focus airline and/or primary airline alliance once you move here. Yes, SQ would be the logical one to earn miles on but they are generally more expensive than the competition - something to be mindful of if it is your company paying for your travel. What probably makes more sense is to look at where you will be flying to the most (both business and pleasure), and see which alliance services the majority of those locations, then choose an airline program where you can get the benefit of say Gold status on the bulk of your revenue flights plus redeem the points easily on the alliance partners for award tickets. For argument's sake, this might mean keeping your points with say QF or TG or CX or LH even though these are not these airline home countries. On the upgrade opporunities with SQ, you probably need to continue trolling the SQ forum, and ask there any specific questions that you can't find an answer to otherwise.

Back to the credit card with FFP linkage - you have already found the FT thread on the DBS/KrisFlyer linked card. This type of program is not as well publicized in this part of the world although I'm sure it exists in specific markets. Here in Singapore the abovementioned DBS/SQ program is one, and ohyum notes that UOB (another one of our local banks) has one as well. What is your specific question then?

Finally on the issue of bank accounts, if I might add on to ohyum's recommendiation of DBS/POSB - it is useful to get an account with this bank not only because the ATM machines are just about everywhere, but also because they work with the main local debit system called NETS. However note that as a foreigner soon to be based here traveling in the region and internationally you may wish to see if one of the other local (and foreign) banks may offer you an account that better suits your needs. I would say get a DBS or POSB (they're sister banks) account for local Singapore needs, and possibly an account with one of the other banks that you can use for local and overseas.

BTW who is FB? Nearest as I can see FB is the code for Bulgaria Airlines (that's on both Yahoo and Wikipedia).
Thanks for the time you've spent on your post.

unfortunately i don't know yet, where i will be flying to most. it al depends on where they need me ;-)
My company is paying for the flights and i book the flights myself(or assistent) so i'm flexibel as long as the price difference is not to big)

So for what i understand, there is no Creditcard+FFP where you can get qualification miles for a higher tier?
FB is Flying Blue from KLM and AF.

thanks!