Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:12 am
xenole

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Trip Report (Part1) MAN-LGW-JER

Nothing overly exciting but a change from the usual flights in CW and First

Flights:
BA2903 Man-LGW 26th Feb 2011 08:30
BA8037 LGW-Jer 26th Feb 2011 11:55

Decided to do a tier point run from Manchester to Jersey and back to help me on my way to silver.
Whilst not the cheapest one ever as I'm not being based in the London area, it would allow me to gain some points from hotel stays as well as BA miles, tier points and the opportunity to try a bit of domestic travel for a change.

Set out around Friday lunchtime from home to Manchester Airport. Caught the train which was on time and this cost me £8.60 for a single ticket in standard class. It worked out a good £20-30 cheaper than first so I wasn't passing up that sort of price. A quick trip to Boots for a £3.79 meal deal got me a drink, sandwich and snack for the journey.
Despite being half term, the train was less full than anticpiated which was nice. That changed however once we reached S....horpe and Doncaster which resulted in people standing in the aisles all the way to Manchester Picadilly.
Uneventful journey otherwise. Usual refreshment trolley wheeled round once after Doncaster which is an hour into the nearly 3 hour journey. They do nothing catering wise anywhere east of Doncaster.

Does seem strange to me the way the train pulls into Manchester Picadilly, sits there a few minutes and then goes back out partly along the same route it came in on to go to the airport.

Reached the airport on time and easy enough to find the exit by using the escalator up to the ticket office. Plenty of signs telling you where the Radisson hotel and terminals 1-3 are (up one or two floors).

I decided to exit the station through the main doors to the outside and turn right after consulting Google Maps. Shortly came upon World Way which told me my map was upside down and I was going in completely the wrong direction so I had to walk back again. Crossed the road from the train station which gives you a lovely view of a Virgin Atlantic 747 (English Rose). Crossed the car park near the petrol station and could see the Hilton, Bewleys and behind that, my hotel, the Crowne Plaza.
Made my way towards them only to discover a main road and fencing all along the other side so you couldn't cross over and to to them. Wandered around aimlessly for a while until I decided to head towards Terminal 1. This was a good decision as there were pavement markings leading to Terminal 1 and 3 and also a path that headed in the direction of the hotels. Crossed a road that led from the terminal 3 multi-story car park, around the corner and another busy road to cross. 100m or later, I'm strolling across the Crowne Plaza car park - piece of cake when you know where it is and how to get there! You also need to know that cars aren't required to ever use their indicators when turning at Manchester Airport - didn't see one indicate at any junction, roundabout etc.
Could have paid £3 or so for a taxi or even called the hotel for the shuttle bus, but the "5 minute" walk I'd read about seemed nothing really.

No problems checking in to my club room that I got for an advance rate of £61 (card not charged until checkout). Not a massive room by any standards, but big enough for just me for the night.
Toiletry wise, 2 different sized bars of soap and some body lotion were supplied.

Photo Of Room

Minibar (needs cleaned inside)

Kettle inside a drawer with the safe below

Bathroom

Had a look around the hotel and checked out the gym (need to sign a waiver before you can use this in case you sue for an injury).

Gym

Also tried out the club lounge. This is accessed via the business centre by using your room key. 6-8pm is "happy hour" where you can get free beer. Other times, soft drinks, tea, coffee, Walkers Shortbread and some fruit are available to help yourself to. Few newspapers and magazines as well. Apparently a complimentary continental breakfast from 6:30am yet I saw no-one in the lounge at that time.

Manchester Airport Crowne Plaza Club Lounge

Decided in the evening not to to eat at the hotel and to check out Terminal 3. Walked over there in less than 5 minutes and found eateries consisted of a coffee shop and a slightly overpriced Spar shop. Then made my way to Terminal 1 and that was even worse.
It then seemed a good idea to pop into Manchester so I took the purple lit enclosed walkway to the station which takes about 5 minutes. Bought an off-peak single to Picadilly for £3.60 (something like £8.00 for a return!)
15 minutes later, I'm in the Sainsbury Local an the station buying some bread and cheese etc.
Then decided to buy a return ticket and the machine tells me I can get a ticket for between 6:30-9:30pm for £1.80 return! Far better than the price I paid earlier. No idea how things work ticket wise.
10 minute wait for a slow train from platform 12 and then it's easy getting from the station to the hotel now I know how. No ticket check at all on the train or at either station so could have saved £1.80!

Checked out the following morning around 6:50am for my 8:30am flight to Gatwick. Had seen the BA check-in desks the night before on the upper floor so knew where to go. Decided to check my bag all the way to Jersey as I didn't want to be lugging it around all the time. Check-in staff just oozed enthusiasm and there's no sarcasm there whatsoever! Provided with two boarding passes for the Man-LGW and LGW-JER legs.
Took my bag over to a bag drop area and off it went.
Then made my way to departures where the usual security screening occurred. Belt off, metal out of your pockets etc. Still managed to set off the detector and got frisked. Saw the body scanners and beats me what the fuss is.

Made my way into the departure area and had a look at Tumi and Briggs & Riley luggage in the "Rolling Luggage" shop. Personally would prefer to buy luggage prior to already checking your existing luggage in.
Had a look around at the Duty Free shop and one or two of the cafe bar places which is pretty much all there is airside. Didn't really want to pay around £8 for breakfast so had a look around for the BA lounge. Noticed a sign at the bottom of a staircase so made my way upstairs to the BA Terraces desk. Wasn't 100% sure if my domestic ticket feeeding a CE flight for let me in so I asked the woman at the desk and was told "yes". Did take my camera out for a photo and she told me that you weren't allowed to take photos. Didn't stop me inside though.

Went into the lounge and the was one other person in there. Had a look around at the choice of cereals, pastries, Walker's shortbread, fruit juices, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit and the select of alcohol (know a few people who would have drunk the lot even at 7am!). Quite a nice slection of spirts to be honest. Some bottles of water , white wine and Baileys chilling nicely and an assortment of Schweppes mixers etc to choose from.

Shower Cubicle

Had some toast, Special K, a hot chocolate with shortbread and some fruit juice. Would have taken some with me but I had no bag to casually drop them into

Nice view of the runway from the lounge and a few small planes landed. Could see my plane at the gate.
By 8am, a dozen people tops must have been in the lounge.
Nice also being able to look down on the possibly American school party and others buying breakfast at one of the eateries.

Boarding was simple enough and rather akin to catching the LCY-JFK flight the way you walk out the door, turn left along the tarmac and up the steps onto the plane.

BA Plane - not 100% sure if it was the one I went on!

Welcomed by the cabin crew and took my seat along with the possibly 35 others who were on board. Whole row to myself which was nice. Plenty of legroom and the seats, although like a rock at first, soon became more comfortable.

5ft7 and plenty of space for my legs

Around 35 people on board so plenty of empty seats

Last edited by xenole; Mar 1, 2011 at 4:21 am