FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can jewelry be worn when going through the body scanners?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:35 pm
CelticPax

A bit off topic but:
Originally Posted by acrusa
I also have a Cochlear Implant that has a magnet in my head.Can I go thru the body scanner?I can not take an MRI with the magnet in my head so I was thinking this is simaler.
It's "just" an x-ray, like other high frequency electromagnetic radiation like light or infrared, except it's high enough frequency to be ionizing and therefore cancer-causing. It doesn't produce much magnetic force just like light does not.

An MRI is a huge, very powerful electromagnet - often created using cooled wires to create a superconductor. It's enough force to require a couple people to pull a metal chair away if it gets too close. So it can potentially rip out pieces of metal.

An MRI has more in common with the walk-through metal detector than the backscatter x-ray nude-o-scope. Metal detectors have been known to cause slight issues with older pacemakers. I'm not an expert on medical exemptions or risk, but it would be slight. You probably drive over a similar use of metal detection technology everyday without thinking about it - traffic light car detectors.

Back on topic: as for the jewelry, a number of threads have detailed how people are asked to remove everything. The general consensus here is to lock all cash, jewelry, and valuables in a lockable compartment of your carry-on or lock the entire bag. That way the TSO's will be forced to have you present to go through it and have less chance for them or other passengers to steal.

You should still opt-out of the nude-o-scope though, for safety and privacy reasons.