FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2003, 3:10 pm
Non-NonRev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Arrow Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

I had a pleasant overnight stay there last weekend.

The hotel is the re-flagged Intercontinental, a twenty-seven story structure. The building looks of about mid-to-late 1980's vintage and is in good condition.

The location is very conveinent: An easy two block walk from the Hauptbahnhof, and within walking distance of the city center (many of the streetcar/tram lines intersect in front of the Hbf).

Check-in for this award stay (only 2000 *Points, a great bargain) was very courteous and prompt, and the request for nonsmoking was honored. The room was of decent if not lavish size, with a well-equipped bath with very good water pressure

Because the rooms begin on about the 12th floor, the views are excellent (mine looked out to the north).

I didn't avail myself of the restaurants, so can't comment, but a few selection of the room service menu are offered between 23:00 and 06:00.

There is a very large (and very busy and popular) two-level shopping mall on the two floors of the Hbf below the passenger area (fast-food options also are here). While I was there the Sesame Street characters had the kids in thrall (I thought about asking Ernie about that Bin Laden photo but thought better)

Check-out was perfect and the very nice clerk sent me off with a little refreshment bag for the trip to Berlin.

One minor caution: the street on which the hotel fronts, Gerberstrasse, is a VERY busy six-to-eight lane divided highway, so use caution when crossing)

Congratulations to the city of Leipzig, just named the official candidate for Germany's bid to host the Games of the XXX Olympiad (2012 - the IOC will award those Games in 2005).

Edited for typos

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited 04-13-2003).]