FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-creating a photo - To New York with UA, BA and WW.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:57 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part VII - FRA and FRA-LCY with BA.

Guten Morgen Frankfurt!

After leaving the gate, I was thrust into the joy of Frankfurt A gates, and after a quick comfort break, I found a short queue at passport control. After being welcomed with typical German inefficiency that is the the Bundespolizei, I descended to the A baggage reclaim, where my bag had just come off the belt, and then entered Germany.

After navigating that was the joy of luggage claim, I begun the hunt for the Skytrain that would connect me to T2. A bit of hunting and I found it, and was shortly transferred to the non Star Alliance side of Frankfurt airport.

The joy of automated trains...

After hunting for the BA check in desk, I double checked, and found I'd have to repack my duty free even though it was in a tamperproof bag

So this is when the bag packed out, taking the little rucksack to 10kg of cargo. After repacking, I presented in for the LCY flight, and had my boarding pass issued. It was then a matter of exiting Germany again, and waiting for a bit until I was ready to go through security. As the D/E gates of Frankfurt have an odd setup - with document check first, then duty free, THEN security.

Mad I tell you!

After a while and after sorting things out, I went through security, and of course, beeped, and then my camera and other stuff wanded for security .

I was let go, and found a window, and watched planes for a bit until our plane was called.

Two busloads of passengers were sent - I managed to grab the first bus. After driving round for 10 minutes, our bus reached the little Embraer 170 at the back of Frankfurt airport. I went for the back entrance.

BA8733 Frankfurt-am-Main International to London City Airport
British Airways CityFlyer, Embraer 170, Seat 14D EuroTraveller
447 miles flown, 125 Qantas FF miles earned, 10 Status Points Earned

I was greeted aboard, and found my seat of 14D. After popping the rucksack down and the ragbag down, the plane begun to slowly fill up. Except no one was intrested in sitting next to me.

The plane was secured and the safety briefing done. And then begun the taxi. And at this point, I'll freely admit I fell asleep right until the plane lined up on the runway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lY0JBQGH4

Like in all these ERJ's it was a quick take off and quick climb into the skies.

So lets look around - well it's an ERJ-170. So misaligned windows are the order of the day. Seat pitch is 31", and a tightish one at that -but no worse that Shuttle America's ERJ-170.

Seat shot

The cabin itself was nice and fresh, and well looked after.

Cabin shot

The cabin crew were soon released with a basket snack service. Don't get too excited kids - it was a choice of crisps, a biscuit or a graniola bar.

Crisps and Biscuits.

Well - it's the thought that counts I suppose.

After the snacks had been distributed, it was time for drinks, and I opted for a Diet Coke to tide me home.

It wants to be a full can of Diet Coke when it grows up...

Now, I know BA is trying help me watch my waistline, but please - can we quit with the fun sized cans of coke please and introduce cans of Coke that have grown up?

Service was cleared down near France, and we begun a track over the channel, before lining up for City Airport, making landfall over Thanett and it's wind farm, and slowly tracking down until the fast landing at City Airport.

England's Green and Pleasant Land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUBEPL4bb8

The plane taxied around city, and parked up at City. Again, I exited from the back of the plane and thanked the cabin attendant

I've got to admit, I still love the Chatham Dockyard Tail

The bird

Overall: A short trip, with good friendly service and few more nibbles - for less than other carriers would take me that day. Why choose anyone else? BA was a good selection in this case, and the novelty of going into City Airport makes it just as fun.

After exiting the plane, it was a short walk to the UK border where I was welcomed. Soon after the baggage arrived.

And oh dear. The packing tape fairy's had been at it. BIG TIME.

Vielen Dank Flughaven Frankfurt

I asked for some assistance, but the ground team couldn't be bothered to file a luggage report even.

I tested the straps, and they seemed stable. The trick would be getting from one side of London to the other, and then the train home...

Thankfully, there was a DLR which was leaving in a few moments after arrival, and I boared that to Canning town, then the Jubellie Line from Canning Town, across the city, and up to Baker Street, and then a change to the Bakerloo line up over to Marylebone.

No bag split yet. Beeped my way out of the tube station. No split yet.

I reached the concourse, saw a train was going in 7 minutes, and rushed to the ticket machine to pick up a ticket. No split.

A race through the gates, and onto the top of the train as it was terminating at Moor Street. No split.

Chiltern Railways London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street.
Class 168/2
£19.50 Super Off Peak Return

It's the usual. Fast to Bicester North, then stopping to Moor Street. As usual, Chiltern did an excellent job of getting me to Birmingham. Alas I had a reminder of valentines day on the train with the amounts of red ballons and red paraphernalia on the train.

Considering it's only 30 minutes slower than the Virgin service, and it's £19.50 to go to Birmingham after 11am, it's a bargain of a ticket.

Upon reaching Moor Street, it was through the barriers, and through the Bull Ring Centre, to find a taxi, and finally, home to my flat front door.

Last edited by Kevincm; Feb 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm