FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines' Boeing 777s Painted with New Livery (Sightings, Experiences, etc.)
Old Feb 16, 2011, 2:05 pm
ASEFlyer

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I most definitely object to the paint, think I made that clear.

Let's look at DL as a case study - 1) merge two airlines, 2) keep the name with more global brand equity, 3) come up with a new visual identity to announce you're now the leading global carrier looking towards the future. While US isn't a leading carrier, they followed the same process with HP.

UA completed the first two steps, but punted on the third. Not surprising, as the more we seem to learn about $misek, the more we learn he seems executional in nature as opposed to visionary (the latter which great CEOs are).
Actually, I think the current DL branding was dreamed up in 2007...and the merger was not until 2008. I am not saying that the new branding wasn't created in anticipation of the merger, but it was certainly released subsequent to bankruptcy and prior to the announcement of the merger.

Also, anecdotally, I'd say that the rate at which DL was repainting planes pre-merger and post-new brand was much faster than UA.

I personally would have loved to see something entirely new.