FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - sending money between UK and Argentina
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:52 am
Tenerife

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Sorry, but... can you explain why you are worried about sending copies of your passport and credit card...? If your credit card details get 'stolen', you are covered by insurance and the fraud detection systems of the issuing bank which are quite efficient these days. With simple, un-notarized copies of your passport, aside from folks commenting on your hairstyle... what else could they do...?

Im playing with a little humour here, please dont take this the wrong way, but today, when you use a credit card and are not present at the point of transactions, many companies will want copies of the card and proof of identity via photo-ID. I dont think one has to be surprised about these things.

I would just send them the paperwork.... but thats just me.
Sorry, but I see it a bit differently. We will be travelling for several weeks, and if my credit cards get "compromised", I won't be in much of a position to take care of the details easily. As for the passport, I've lived in Germany for over 30 years but still have (and can only have) my U.S. passport. I have no NIE or I.D. from any other country. I don't want to encounter a possible problem of either not being easily able to enter either Germany or the U.S.

And, yes, I had the problem of being held at the airport in Antalya, Turkey -- presumably because my passport would have been a valuable commodity (We'll never know the real reason!). Sitting overnight with police machine guns pointed at us until my husband and I could be sent back to Germany the next day was not exactly my idea of fun (or vacation)!

So, maybe I am a bit cautious...