FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Touching face and hair -- what is point?
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:38 pm
Cartoon Peril

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Face - I have no idea, that can be cleared visually. I have never patted down a passengers face.
Without justification, that is a battery, no?

Hair - Because dangerous items can be concealed in hair, and there is (as listed earlier) a chance it is a wig, and wigs can be used to conceal dangerous items as well.
I think TSA underestimates how offensive it is for a stranger to touch one's hair. This seems a weak justification for such an intrusion upon the person.

Collar - collars provide an easy location to hide dangerous items in "plain sight", hence the clearance of them.
I have worn a collared shirt into highly secured areas run by state and federal governments. These points are secured by WTMD and baggage x-rays. The follow-up is typically a hand wand and an actual opening of bags and visual inspection. In some cases shoe and belt removal is required because these set off the WTMD. In many instances a valid ID is required for entry.

In other words, these areas are fully consistent with what was once the TSA standard up to the advent of the Junkatron and the intrusive physical searches. Actually in some ways it was greater, because the person running the WTMD would simultaneously check the ID (although ID seems not to be very closely related to actual security.)

In no case have I have had my shirt collar examined. In no case have I ever observed any other person having their collar examined.