FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flash Drive v. Hard Drive For New Laptop
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:26 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by swanscn
I am not a fan a of Raid 0 technology by combing 2 disks into 1 is not a risk I am willing to take. As other have correctly stated a problem on one drive is a problem for the other as well. If you have these running as 2 drives instead of 1 a failure of 1 would not cause data loss on the other.

This is one of those time of "Just becasue you can do something, doesn't mean you should"
Depends on what you're using it for; it's great for temporary working space, or for application/OS installations which you can reinstall if you've got a separate non-raid volume for data. For that matter, if you've got a decent backup, it's not a bad way to get extra speed - one big slow drive plus two smaller fast ones and automated backup is often cheaper than 4 faster ones (for a RAID 10 - striping + mirroring.)

Ditto if your important data is already on severs; until we moved to SSDs, the default configuration for developer machines at my workplace was dual 15k SAS drives. The assumption is that anything really important that's more than a day or two old is in source control or on a file server.