FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:13 pm
IslandSkies

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by cranford
i hate to sound really dumb, but i have only the haziest understanding of what this means, but i am sure it is relevant to my next decision: last year, i booked an award ticket from sydney to hong kong, going via seoul in one direction and via bangkok in the other. syd-icn-hkg is 6448 miles, and hkg-bkk-syd is 5711. The shortest star route is on sq at 5495 but that is a forlorn hope.
My first question is: how does one ascertain the MPM?
My second question is: does this new rule override rules about traversing another region to get to destination?
Since the regions are now divided north asia, and south asia, if i want to use Asiana i have to go via North Asia to get to Hkg.
When i rang a couple of days ago they said i would have to take two awards, one to north asia, and then one north asia to south asia, which of course, is way too many miles.
EH (Eastern Hemisphere direction) MPM SYD to/from HKG is 5514. SYD-BKK-HKG is 5728 CUM = 5M level which is permitted. SYD-ICN-HKG is 6479 CUM = 20M level, max is 15M so you can't do it on one award.