FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flew private.. after their 22 hour delay!..compensation for a $45K flight?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:37 am
gosha83

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by slawecki
there were recently about 10 people in line at ther grocery. took me 15 min to check out. i called safeway for comp. then my bus was 15 min late. called the MTA for more comp.FT'ers are really into comp. wonder if they comp all the people they delay with their incompetence.
I don't think this is a relevant metaphor, as Safeway's core business is not contingent on time, whereas one can argue that the competitive advantage of flying private is an on-time departure/arrival. Isn't that one of the several reasons they provide in marketing materials, so that people choose them (and pay significantly more) than opting for a first or business class commercial flight?

Safeway's core business is quality foods and if your food is spoiled, they will refund you no questions asked. Are they required to compensate you by law? I am not sure, but it's a consumer expectation and they know that if they don't, the consumer can take his business elsewhere next time. Obviously, if the OP paid $45,000 for a charter flight when he could have flown first class for less, he may choose to do so next time. If you apply the Safeway comparison correctly, I think that at least from the loyalty perspective, some form of make-good should be offered. Not sure if it needs to be the full amount, as they did get the OP home, eventually, but something, to recognize that they did not live up to their competitive advantage.