FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Verified by Visa Program - old Schwab card is not eligible?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:26 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Verified by Visa Program - old Schwab card is not eligible?

In order to purchase train tickets and bus tickets on the Spaniard national railway system and its many bus companies, one seems to have to use a Visa or MC that has enrolled in the "Verified by Visa Program" and the counterpart of the MC program. Otherwise the credit card would be declined even though your bank is informed by the anticipated foreign transactions. Renfe simply would not process your card.

I first tried to activate the old Schwab now FIA card and it came back as ineligible. At first I thought BofA does not participate the program, but it is not.

Luckily I also have a Chase PC Visa that has 0 forex and it is eligible so I got that card enrolled.

My question to the forum is, has anyone used the FIA card to purchase foreign airline tickets etc online?

I did one about 10 days or so ago on Vueling. The transactions were blocked by FIA 3 times until I finally figured out to call FIA and had the security rep watched the transaction to go through. I have since bought attraction tickets and booked lodgings in Euro and so far OK.

However, reading TripAdvisor on Renfe, the "Alice in Wonderland" style website of the Spaniard national railway, I feel hopeless with the How To instruction that has over 70 items...

I am not sure this is performed as an added security measure by Renfe or is a way to gauging foreigners so they will have to pay full fares versus web fares which can have difference of over 60% discount!