FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spirit Airlines - How strict on Personal Item?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:45 am
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by NewSpiritACY
We have never flown Spirit Airlines but we are all set to travel on Spirit for the first time next month.

We are aware of the baggage policies (free personal items and baggage check fee for standard roller carry-on), extra charges like reserving seat, no free drinks, tight seats, etc.

This question is specific to the free personal item allowance (16" x 14" x 12").

How strict do they enforce this dimension. We have a few duffle bags and backpacks at home that are apprx 17" and 18" long. We have used them as personal items for other airline carriers even putting them under seats.

Can anyone advise as to how strictly Spirit enforces the personal item size measurements?

Will they allow bags that are little longer than the stated maximum 16" length?

What if we don't pack them to the max such that they can be squished squeezed down to 16" length?

Thanks
I flew Spirit for the first time this past Saturday. Group 1 is for paxs that have paid to take on large carry ons. After that Group 2 which are paxs that upgraded to the "Big Seat" (its well worth it). After that people were still bringing on fairly large carry ons (needed to go in overhead bins) and no one seemed to be stopping them. Actually boarding was no faster on either flight that what I am used to at AA. I would just squish it down.