FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SkyTeam Frequent Flyer Programs - which one should I choose?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:06 am
nawatts

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Skyteam KLM flying Blue and Aeroflot

Hi was an interesting read about all the options that are available within Skyteam.
However I have a huge issue with Skyteam. I have been a Gold card holder for a number of years in Flying Blue and have almost 300k miles. I also have almost 150k on Aeroflot (this was due to a quirk in the system where you could not charge Aeroflot internal flights to Flying Blue. I used to live in London.

The problem I have is that it is not economic to use any of these miles. The taxes are always higher than buying a flight. AMsterdam from London is £117 whereas a FB flight is 10,000 miles plus €122 tax - the tax is the same as the normal (albeit cheap) fare. There are other examples I could quote.

I also now have another problem. I have moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS). The KLM site does not have PLS listed even though their parent company Delta flies there a number of times a week. I wrote to them and they added it to the FB's website (to claim an award) but still not to the main website. Regardless of this I cannot book any flights out of that destination as there are never any options so I cannot use my miles. They told me they were upgrading their website but this has not happened I assume this may be because they are merging with Delta and will probably use the same website eventually. I am rather frustrated and if I am not careful will lose my miles soon.

I appreciate that this is very specific to my situation but does anyone know any answers to the above?

Many thanks