FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trying out 8 different brands of champagne! To, from and within Asia on *A in First
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:39 am
jacob_m

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Krabi and Koh Lanta

Getting from Krabi airport (on mainland Thailand) to Koh Lanta (the island where my friend currently lives) requires either going two hours by car/bus, including two car ferries, or taking a boat which also takes about two hours.
The car ferries unfortunately stop running in the evening (no 24h service), so to avoid any problems because of flight delays and to get a slightly more fun experience getting there I stayed overnight in Krabi to catch the boat the following morning instead.

I chose the Maritime hotel in Krabi, supposedly one of the better hotels in this small city.
The hotel was very good value for money but felt deserted. It was a massive hotel complex but only half of it was occupied during the night, or possibly even less.

A major advantage of the hotel was that they had a travel agency on-site and they helped me book both the boat ticket and a transfer to the ferry pier.
This meant a very relaxed morning at the hotel enjoying the pool and the surroundings before it was time to leave.

The transfer ended up being my first experience on how the Thais maximise their revenues.
Five people were booked to depart from the hotel to the pier, another four people were to be picked up from other hotels and hostels on the way, and for this they sent a smallish pickup van.
Fortunately it was only a short 10 minutes ride, but the last people had to sit at the back in open air, cramped between all the luggage.

The ferry pier was packed with people, almost entirely foreign holidaymakers going either to Koh Lanta, Phi Phi or Phuket.
The boat to Koh Lanta ended up being delayed almost an hour as they waited for some last passengers, for whatever reason. Well people weren’t exactly in a hurry anyway...

The boat ride itself was quite enjoyable although the facilities on the boat weren’t exactly modern.
The staff made several runs onboard selling beer, water and donuts.

During the last hour of the crossing the boat suddenly stopped right in the middle of the fairway.
I have never heard of pirates in the Andaman Sea, but fortunately there were just six harmless longtrail boats that docked next to the boat. They were going to collect some food and supplies from our boat as well as some passengers who were probably going to some remote villages or hotels that were hard to reach from the landside.

The ride to Koh Lanta took almost exactly two hours where we were met by a rain shower.
I thought we were going to the sun, not from it?

Well the weather got better later in the afternoon.

Koh Lanta

Koh Lanta is a nice and absolutely gorgeous island located in south-western Thailand.
The main island Lanta Yai is divided into mainly four large beaches located on the west side of the rather long island.

However in spite of the beauty of Koh Lanta I found it was way too touristic for my taste.
I don’t like going to places that are packed with my fellow countrymen, where you can sit at the breakfast table in the morning and follow almost every conversation going on around you.
That’s just not my preference of a holiday...

On the positive side though the island is really cheap and there are a massive number of excellent bars and restaurant serving absolutely superb food and drinks at bargain prices.
It didn’t matter how much I tried, I still ended up way below my budget for the visit.

I had a really fun and relaxing time with my friend really enjoying life to the fullest extent.
I wonder if he’ll ever come home again...

A first glass of Chang just after arrival in Koh Lanta. Life is good!

Klong Dao Beach, one of the main beaches

Beautiful landscape and nature

Koh Lanta by night! Fun, relaxing and entertaining, but not extreme. Just my taste!

Last edited by jacob_m; Feb 6, 2011 at 4:56 am