FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Plus Select Visa bonus miles earning question
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:08 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just buy the ticket. The sales channel doesn't matter.

Thank you for the info. A clarification question. If I purchase *A ticket through a place like Expedia or Orbitz, how will Chase/UA know that it was a *A purchase?
I've purchased through Orbitz within the last year, and it shows on your statement just as if you had bought the ticket through the airline directly. At least for UA & US it does.

It may very depending on what agency you use and how they process it. Most of the big ones process using the issuing airline's merchant account. That's why "United Airlines" (or whoever the issuing carrier is) is listed on your CC statement. If the agency name shows up instead, it means the agency itself is doing the processing, and you won't get the 2 x or 3 x miles. The latter will probably be the case if booking with a consolidator, and I suspect also if you book using a blind purchase (i.e. Like on Priceline for tickets where you don't know the carrier until after the purchase).