Old Feb 2, 11, 8:06 pm
traveller1983

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond
MIA - DFW schedule change - options?

i booked a flight from carribbean that was scheduled to arrive in miami at 6:45pm on a wednesday and then connect to AA 1724 MIA - DFW leaving miami at 9:15pm and arriving dallas at 11:25pm.
i received a schedule change notification that my flight now arrives into MIA at 6:55pm and due to the 9:15pm flight being CANCELLED (schedule change), they automatically changed me to AA 2413 MIA - DFW that leaves miami the next MORNING at 6:20am and arrives dallas at 8:30am. there's a 8:10pm mia-dfw flight but it's not a legal connection for customs timing.

what are my options? is there any compensation involved for having to stay the night in miami?
1. i looked at flight schedules and there's another airport that i could fly out of but it would cost me a $150 cab ride and would be a 2 hour drive.
2. the other thing is taking the MIA - LAX - DFW flight out the same "night" which gets into dallas at 5am which would give me more miles but it would be a major hassle if any flight delays occurred and i'd be stuck sleeping in a plane all night instead of sleeping at the airport all night.
3. does this allow me a date change? i booked for the 20th but turns out i can actually leave on the 14th so it would be great to change to that.

what does the FT community think? what would you do in my position? what compensation can i receive for the inconvenience?