FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YVR-HKG; Which way to do J?
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:23 am
jlisi984

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Update after doing the flights:

YVR-HKG in Y was fine. I was in an exit row (well worth the $75 or whatever it was), and I didn't think the flight was bad in the least. Quite tolerable, really. We were delayed by about an hour due to the plane's tow bar being damaged upon pushback from YVR, which made the flight a bit longer than it should have been, but with the exit row's legroom, it was okay. Being a daylight flight, I couldn't have even slept if I had tried to. The seat did become a little uncomfortable with about an hour left to go in the flight, but, really, things could have been much worse.

HKG-YVR in J was excellent. It was my first J experience, so I have nothing to compare it to, but the food was great and the service was attentive. Being able to sleep (even if only for 4 or 5 hours) was quite nice, and I think that it was well worth the cost of the ticket. Good value, even. I didn't particularly like how meal orders were taken (and delivered); having a select few get their meals well in advance of others is poor form, in my view, but that is really my only complaint. The Thai lounge in HKG was worth the visit, although I'm not sure I see any great value in the MLL lounge in YVR. Seems like the big appeal to the lounge is the free alcohol....

In short, I'd do it all again the same way when I have the chance. Spending J-class money on the YVR-HKG flight doesn't make sense to me (although paying the money to get an exit row does), while doing HKG-YVR in Y is not something that I think that I would really want to do regardless of how cheap the ticket may be.
Meals were offered in advance to a few SEs on your flight. This is policy.