FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:36 pm
Lonely Flyer

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Himeno
Given what we know about the incident, I’m not surprised.

RR creates a new engine with a design flaw – a flaw testing should have discovered.
They then put (known?) defective engines into the market.
Not only do they not tell anyone about the problem, they make design changes to the engine – and still not tell anyone. Meanwhile, allowing defective engines to remain in service.
The only reason anyone even found out about the design change was because one of them blew itself to pieces while in commercial service.

Am I missing anything?

If RR had come out and said there was a problem when they found it, it is quite likely they wouldn’t be getting as much of the blame.
This may be inane but I suspect most design errors are discovered from actual commercial flying over a period of time.

I watch a lot of air crash investigation (when Mrs. LF) is not at home and although this is certainly a small selection of of incidents it predominantly identies flaws that are discovered long after a particular new aircraft or version comes into service. The 737 is a good example.