View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 11, 5:11 pm
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowseatapp View Post
I use 12vpn.com to setup my VPN while I'm abroad. I think they make the setup easy. You can think of a VPN as a computer in the United States that you can connect to while you're abroad so you can use all of the services that is available to you at home. Safe travels.
Well, that's not exactly correct.

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. As another poster explained, it's a secure tunnel through the internet that connects you to a remote network as if you were actually physically present and connected to it. This means that you can access network resources, such as printers and file servers (assuming the appropriate network permissions). It can also connect to and control other computers IF the client software is installed on the remote computer and the computer on the LAN that you want to control is properly configured to accept remote access.

VPN, in and of itself, is not like having a computer in the US that you can connect to while you're abroad. It is like having your computer connected directly to the LAN in the US while you're abroad.

Finally, note that there are various approaches to VPNs. Some require hardware installed at the U.S. LAN, some work through websites, some channel all network requests through the LAN to which you're requesting, some don't, etc.