Old Jan 23, 11, 8:12 pm
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Setting up an NAS and/or drive on the home network for remote access.

I have an older 250GB NAS on my home network. One of the nice things about it is that it has two USB ports that can serve for attaching external drives, printers (the NAS has a built-in print server).

I have a spare 150GB external drive (in USB housing) that I want to connect to the NAS.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to access either or both drives while traveling. I have opened a port forward on my Linksys router before (so can probably figure out how to do so again), but what I don't know is what I need to be able to access those drives directly remotely.

The NAS box does NOT come with web server software installed.

Is there any way to install web server (is that what I need?) software on one or both of the drives (either NAS itself or the external USB drive attached to it), open a port forward (is that the terminology?), and then be able to access the drive(s)? -- without either drive being directly attached to a computer (I assume this question becomes easier if I put a computer on the network and used it as a remote entry, but I am wanting to know if I can someone just put what I need on the drive(s))

Ideally, I'd like some kind of Windows Explorer-like interface that I could simply use to access files remotely.

If this is possible, baby steps, please