FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..)
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:39 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part I - Off to BHX, BHX to DUB with EI.

Off to BHX!
(Pictures can be found at: http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...ge-swords.html )

Most of the packing was done the night before, with important things popped in the bag (namely, the camera, laptop, 4 T-shirts, clothes, etc)

Obligatory bag shot

After finishing off being evil in the office (I’m a Systems Administrator - it’s in my nature), I popped my mini-rucksack on my back, and it was time for the off. A hop into town, and a M&S to get some currency, and then off to Birmingham New Street to catch the train to Birmingham Airport.

Walking down central Birmingham

As it was peak time, trains were amazingly running to schedule, and it was a short walk to check in.

Reaching the check desks, I noticed the complete lack of queues, and was checked in quickly, with seat 2F assigned.

It was then a case of going upstairs to the newly expanded security area the airport has recently enlarged.

Birmingham Airport (no longer calling itself Birmingham International Airport) still has it's delusions of grandeur, and is trying to merge it's two terminals (The Main Terminal and EuroHub) into one beast - with all the fun that goes with it.

However, all the changes in the world don't make much difference - if the staff are slothly as heck. And Birmingham Airport takes the biscuit here, with 2 security lanes open only, luggage bin delivery crawling along, and even when they finally scanned my bag, it beeped and the camera was run through the wipe explosives tests. Even that took a full five minutes.

Not impressive. I guess de-branding yourself as an international airport means you can be more slothly.

After making into the terminal (no lounge access this time as I'm flying EI), I found a nice perch, spent a bit catching up with the world. However as some have noticed - staying in the public area verses the Servisair lounge at BHX isn't that much difference, except for an annoying Tweenies Kiddies ride machine.

The central waiting area

A look up at the departure screens showed the flight was going to be 15 minutes late - not the end of the he world.

Soon enough the bar went green, and it was off to Gate 57 where boarding begun when I arrived.

Even though we were at an abridge gate, the corridor was broken, so it was a hike downstairs and onto the tarmac, then up the portastairs again and aboard.

The bird of the night

Aer Lingus EI0277, Birmingham Airport - Dublin International Airport
Airbus A320, Seat 2F, Economy Class
200 Miles Flown, 0 QF miles earned, 42 BMI destination miles earned

I was welcomed aboard to find the plane was packed, as well as the luggage bins were filling out quickly. Thankfully, I stowed the rucksack, and took my seat.

The plane of course filled out, with only a couple of spare seats - namely the one next to me was free - which is always nice.

However, alas - there are other people on a flight. In front of me, two "Merry" Irish lads who used my underseat space to store their luggage (and the crew didn't notice that), and behind me, kiddies who thought playing with the tray would be the fun activity of the night.

The doors however were sealed 10 minutes late, pushback and safety demo commenced. Which would had been nice to hear if not for the lads in front and kids behind making a racket.

Eventually, we taxied out to the North-Westerly runway, and after a FlyBe ERJ 195 took off, we lined up and powered out into the night sky.

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If-WrJ7NSjM

The climb was long, but soon enough, the crew were released to conduct service, and I popped the iPhone on to listen to a few tunes for the short hop.

The lights of Birmingham

Service was conducted with a food and drinks run, with a reasonable take up. Of course, the kids decided to play with the tray table a bit more

Which was a royal PITA.

However, after Duty free was done, the cabin was secured, the kids put the table away finally, and the lads in front were told to switch off their music by both of the front cabin crew, and with a direct approach, we landed at Dublin Airport.

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Uw97B2sEo

A quiet Dublin evening

Overall: As usual, a good friendly service by Aer Lingus. A shame that people take the shine of the glamour that was air travel...

The bird at Dublin Airport

After deplaning, I made my way through immigration, and was into the public area in five minutes or so.

It’s late, and as I need to get some rest, it’s off to my cheap hotel for the night. I decided to be extravagant, and paid a taxi to take me to the hotel - which cost about half the price of the hotel itself.

Hotel: Travelodge Swords
€19 Rate.

Of course, a Travelodge is a Travelodge. Expect the bare minimums if you've been good. And it wasn't that bad. The bed was sleepable in, and warm (which is more than could be said of the room). It was clean and simple. Enough for a night.

Sofa

Bed

It even had a real key!

See... none of this fancy keycard stuff...

But it was a bed for the night, and at the price, I wasn't arguing.

Overall: It’s a bed. That’s it

Soon enough, it was time to wake up, wash, grog, and re-bag for the oncoming storm. I’m taking two little rucksacks with me - one that was tightly packed away now comes out as it’s good for cargo, the other will be my “day” rucksack.

And thankfully there's a shuttle bus running to the airport. Alas, Dublin Airport is copying Heathrow in some bad ways - the main way of charging €5 for the privilege of sitting in a bus that goes around the houses, sits in places for minutes, and finally arrives in the middle of nowhere with a 3 mile hike to the terminal building.