FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $1/day from NY area to...Texas??
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:05 am
Auto Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Shunting the surplus from NY was probably instead of purchasing more new cars in Dallas. They still might have purchased more cars, because having a one-way special and actually getting people to do it, especially on a route that straddles a cultural divide and is not exactly the most popular, are not necessarily the same things.

But I doubt the cars they purchased in TX will be enough to cause a later glut. The Super Bowl in TX is a one-time event, whereas FL's peak season is basically late fall through early spring. Many of the FL drivein cars could be aging out of the fleet during or soon after FL's peak season. They probably replaced some cars sold during or after the slower summer hurricane season. Some new cars were purchased in FL to seasonally expand the FL fleet and replace some of the older drivein cars. Many of those will be one-wayed north after Spring Break during the FL driveout. (A few years ago when I did the FL driveout with Hertz, the Cobalt had an in-service sticker on the driver door that suggested the car had been acquired in December right before Christmas.)