FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:43 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY to DUBAI (SYD-DXB) on Emirates A380-800 in first class

Boarding time came around. The gate area was crowded but no queue for first/business class. Inside the cabin was completely full. I ducked into the bathroom to use a tissue, and back at my seat I noticed the tote bag filled with amenities had been provided in my absence. Given the quantity of amenities (even a personal hand towel) I don't know why there were no slippers. The menu was handed out after take off this time around.

I had some drink (no prizes for guessing what) and when asked, selected the time I'd prefer to take a shower.

In the time we'd been on the ground the runway direction was reversed so we had a taxi out to the south end to take off to the north. Unfortunately we disappeared into the cloud within a minute of take off and so no views of the city and harbour.

There was a minor glitch in the IFE - the flight path showed us at Sydney the whole flight (with normal altitude and speed). There was also a glitch in one of the bathrooms - a broken faucet meant crew had to keep topping up a water jug for use instead.

I forgot to mention the double blinds Emirates uses (as does Qantas) in first class on A380. It is good to have a 3/4-light option without the glare of open blinds. Not much use on this particular flight - taking off after sunset and landing before sunrise.

About an hour into the flight there were very minor bumps and the seatbelt sign came on. After dinner I struggled to sleep so whiled away the time watching movies, reading some papers I'd brought with me and the odd magazine, and liquid refreshments. The seatbelt sign remained on almost all flight and so I think only one passenger managed to have a shower.

We had a long taxi on arrival and parked up at a gate in the mid 100s.