FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DBV and OTP in Dec. via DL J and LH F: SEA-AMS-ZAG-DBV-ZAG-VIE-OTP-FRA-SEA
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:26 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Lh f: Fra-sea

December 31, 2010
Lufthansa 490, FRA-SEA
A330-300, D-AIKI
Scheduled (Actual) Departure Time: 10:05am (1:02)
Scheduled (Actual) Arrival Time: 11:40am (12:05)
Duration: 10:35 Seat: 1K

I generally don’t like to wake up too early in the morning, especially if I’m just going to end up sitting at an airport waiting for my flight to board, but I thought it was worth making an exception for the Lufthansa First Class Terminal.

I got off the train at the airport and followed the signs for “A” arrivals. From the arrivals area, walk out of the terminal and turn to the left, walk past the parking lot/waiting area full of taxis, and you will soon come to the lower level of the FCT. Given the early hour, unseasonable cold, and windy walk, I was probably a bit, well, not First Class looking when I rang the buzzer to get into the terminal. Quickly, an attendant had opened the door and led me into the elevator up to the main entrance. I handed over my passport, informed the agent of my destination, quickly cleared security, and within 5 minutes of my arrival at the lower entrance, was seated for breakfast in the restaurant area of the virtually deserted FCT.

I won’t bore you all with a repetitive, superlative filled description of the FCT, which definitely lived up to the hype, but wanted to just add that, while many of the features of the FCT are very good, the showers are awesome (like 10’ high waterfalls) and I don’t think they’ve gotten sufficient praise on these forums.

FCT Breakfast Buffet

Snack selection with very good mint and gingerale drink

Thirty minutes before my scheduled departure my attendant walked over to me and informed me that it was time to board my flight. We took the elevator downstairs, I retrieved my (now stamped) passport from the immigration officers, and was directed to a Mercedes S350 for a short drive to my flight. I don’t know much about cars, but this Mercedes had more controls in the back then I’ve ever seen in the front of a car—including power adjustments in any direction, and warmers, and 5 other buttons that I didn’t recognize and whose function I couldn’t determine.

View of D-AIKI upon arrival at gate

We arrived at the aircraft while boarding was underway and made our way up the elevator and entered the cabin through 1L. While the driver who brought me to the aircraft hoisted my bag into the overhead bin, a flight attendant took my coat and offered me a choice of drinks which was served with macadamia nuts.

View left from seat 1K during boarding

As boarding continued, flight attendants distributed customs forms, slippers, amenity kits, and what was described as a sweater but was what I think of as a long sleeve polo shirt. The amenity kit contained some standard items like lotion, toothpaste, ear plugs, and an eye mask as well as items I hadn’t seen in an amenity kit before including a comb, shoe horn, and ear covers for the headphones built into the seat (addition lotions, and razors, were available in the lavs). The first class seat, while not at the level of the top of the line suites available on other airlines, was comfortable for sitting, as well as flat, although I was glad to have a single seat by the window rather than sharing a middle pair with a stranger.

When I looked online from the FCT only 4 of 8 seats in the cabin were occupied however as boarding progressed all 8 seats ended up full. Based on the conversations I overheard, I suspect there were several op-ups from business (maybe even coach). We were slightly delayed due to a “light in the cockpit” and eventually pushed about 15 minutes late, although I doubt I would have noticed had the captain not made an announcement. We had a rather lengthy taxi to the end of 7L and around 11am took off into the cloudy Frankfurt skies. After a big left turn to the due west, we turned right toward the northwest and flew over Cologne, then near Amsterdam, before heading out to sea.

As we climbed, menus and wine lists were offered, roses were placed in their designated spot in the seat, followed by piping-hot, rose-scented refreshing towels. After folks perused the drink offerings, orders were taken and drinks were served a long with a salmon canapé.

“D” de Devaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Devaux, Frankreich, water, and in-flight map

Salmon tartar canapé with an orange sauce sitting on top of the menu

I sipped the very nice champagne and perused the hefty, tri-lingual menu (LH 438, 440, 452, 454, 456, 458, 490, 498, 510, 534, 542 11/10-12/10):

Choice of Hors d'oeuvres

Caviar with the traditional garnishes

Salad of Bacalao with Oranges, black Olives and Sherry Dressing

Cecina de Leon, grilled Zucchini and shaved Manchego Cheese

Mixed Vegetable Terrine on Pine Nut Vinaigrette with Artichoke Mousse

Salad or Soup

Frisee, Chicory, Romaine Lettuce and Radicchio with Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and Beetroot presented with your Choice of Tomato and Tarragon or Orange and Mustard Dressing

or

Frothed Soup of Watercress with Croutons

Choice of Main Courses

Braised Cheek of Beef garnished with Olives and Leek accompanied by mashed Celery

Saffron crusted Halibut with Sauce Bouillabaisse, Bell Pepper and black Venus Rice

Tian of Eggplant, Couscous and Tomatoes with Mediterranean Vegetables

LufthansaClassics
Roast Goose with Red Cabbage, Potato Dumplings and Herb Crumb Butter

Selection of cheese and desert

Manchego, Queso al Romero, Blue des Causses, Banon and Coulommiers Cheese presented with Quince Jelly and grapes

Truffle Cream of Chocolate and Olive Oil with Flor de Sal, Raspberry and Bell Pepper Jelly

Cream of Lemon Salt with Cherry and Rosewater Sorbet, Ducca Hazelnuts

We are pleased to serve you a selection of canapés, biscuits and fresh fruits during the flight.

As we finished our canapés the flight attendants came through the cabin and took meal orders. As I had eaten an ample breakfast in the FCT, I requested that my meal service be delayed for an hour and a half or so until a more normal “lunch time” based on Frankfurt time—although I think this was a hassle for the flight attendants, it was executed perfectly. In the mean time, I kicked back and began watching Dinner for Schmucks while the service proceeded for the rest of the cabin. I also made use of the inflight wifi to surf the net, send a few emails, and post on FlyerTalk

Serving station at front of first class cabin

The meal service started at the requested time with a serving of caviar and a tower containing all three appetizers listed on the menu along with a selection of bread from a basket

Caviar and appetizer tower

The caviar was spot-on, but the appetizers were more of a mixed bag and probably tried to be fancier than they needed to be, of the three, the Cecina de Leon was probably my favorite. As I finished each layer of the tower dishes were cleared and when I’d eaten all of the starters my main was presented:

Braised cheek of beef

The entree was quite acceptable, although I think the sauce could have had a bit stronger flavor, the mashed celery was very enjoyable. Although by this point in the meal I was starting to get full a first class meal just doesn’t feel complete without cheese and dessert.

Truffle Cream of Chocolate Dessert with selection of cheeses

The rather rich chocolate dessert held up very well next to the generous, and interesting, selection of cheeses, and was a top-rate conclusion to a very excellent first class lunch. As I finished, I was offered a choice of tea or coffee and my coffee with Baileys was presented along with a choice of chocolates from a very nice box.

After the meal was complete, I reclined my seat and tried to get a couple hours of rest and the lights in the cabin were dimmed about 3.5 hours after we departed Frankfurt. One feature of the seat I liked was the water bottle holder behind the armrest which, while only accessible when the seat is reclined, allowed one to quickly grab a drink while resting.

I dozed for a couple of hours and awoke to a clanging in the cabin as mid-flight snacks were being offered to those who were awake. Not wanting to let my readers down, I took advantage of this opportunity and chose a cheese sandwich and piece of fruitcake from the selection of snacks available.

Midflight snack and in-seat rose

One complaint I’d have about the seat is that it lacks a small table (or half tray) so I had to perch my snack on the armrest or use the large tray table which seemed like overkill. After the snack, I rested a while longer and before I knew it, roughly 1:45 from Seattle, preparations for the second service began.

Lufthansa presents a “Sky Lodge Holiday” menu immediately prior to the second service which was distributed as the service began, followed by another round of piping hot rose towels.

Cold and hot specialties

Duck Galantine and Roast Venison with Pear, wild Cranberries and Walnuts

Smoked River Trout with Apple Fennel Salad and Horseradish Cream

Cheese Salad Appenzell Style

Savory Cheese Spread Bavarian Style, Lard and red Radish

Viennese Schnitzel with Potato Salad

Semolina Dumplings with Parsnips and fried King Oyster Mushrooms

Dessert

Linzer Tart

Fresh Fruit

The service began with the “cold” starter cart snaking its way through the cabin and flight attendants offered passengers a choice from the first four items on the menu as well as a selection of bread basket items.

Trout and duck with venison appetizer, with accompaniments and pretzel

The starters were again somewhat more towards the excessively fancy side, although the trout and venison were both tasty. As we enjoyed our starters, the flight attendants took orders for the hot mains. By the time they reached my seat only the Schnitzel option was left, however that was my preference anyways.

Schnitzel with warm potato salad

I had heard good things about the schnitzel in the FCT and was disappointed that it was not on the breakfast menu, however this certainly helped make up for not. The dish was quite good, especially the potato salad, and rounded out my “German” experience appropriately. After everyone had enjoyed their main courses, the cart appeared in the aisle again with desert options:

Linzer tart with fresh fruit

Yikes, I can’t believe I ate all that, yet I enjoyed every bite. I found the second service, as a whole, to be especially impressive when compared with what I had on British Airways LHR-SEA last year, which was limited to an enjoyable, but not nearly as extensive, selection of tea snacks. It was also complimented by lovely views of the Canadian Rockies and later the cascades as we made our way towards Seattle

The second meal was served at a leisurely pace and was made by the time it was concluded and the cabin cleared we were around thirty minutes from landing. I quickly changed out of my in-flight shirt, and rearranged my belongings as we flew over Seattle’s eastside on an unseasonable nice day in the Pacific Northwest

Olympic Mountains, Puget Sound, downtown Seattle, ship canal, and Lake Washington

We made a U-Turn over the Tacoma area and came in for a smooth landing on 34R, after a bit of a taxi back to the south satellite to our gate. We deplaned through 2L and, without checked bags, I was able to make it quickly though immigration and customs and was quickly on my way home.

I’m not sure if anyone’s still reading at this point, but if you are I hope you enjoyed the report and I look forward to your questions and comments.

Happy travels,

gba

Last edited by gba; Jan 22, 2011 at 4:43 pm