FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to Dallas/Ft. Worth area & need advice on areas to live
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:06 pm
r415

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Man_Utd_Fan
Hi All,

I’m being relocated to the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area, closer to Ft. Worth though, and will need to find a nice area to stay. I’m looking at an apartment for about a year till I get settled in, and then buy a home. I know a lot of you fellow AA FTers are from or know the area quite well so I thought I’d ask some of you as a resource to get a general idea of where to start.

Some info about me I’m a 24 yr. old male, no family, likes quieter areas but not somewhere where there is nothing to do , hates super long drive times. My boss told me areas like Burleson or Arlington are good starting points?

Any help, tips, hints, suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks again
Downtown/uptown Dallas can be nice, but the commute to FW will kill you. Some Texans like to drive a lot (Most places in Texas require lots of driving), and don't see it as a big deal, but unless you are of the same mind, I suggest you take that advice with a grain of salt.

Living in the city of Fort Worth itself would give you more to do than the suburbs, not as much as Dallas, but you don't really want to commute all the way from Dallas everyday (if your work is closer to Dallas, then that changes things, of course), and living in Fort Worth is not too expensive. Living in Flower Mound or Grapevine will put you in the suburbs with a bunch of families, probably not that much fun for a 20-something single. In general, you probably don't want to live in any suburb of Fort Worth either, for the same reasons.

The other option I would see is Euless, which puts you striking distance of both FW and Dallas, but more importantly is right next to DFW, making it easy to fly pretty much anywhere in the continental US in 3-4 hours door-to-door, which you can probably appreciate as a FlyerTalker. Euless itself isn't very exciting, but you can probably fun something reasonably priced, and can then easily drive to exciting parts of Dallas, Fort Worth, and of course DFW.