FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:24 am
MaximusDamon

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
UA 777 F

UA 747 F

I don't see a 10 inch difference.
I didn't get out my measuring tape...
But according to www.seatguru.com the difference is 10 inches. Check it out. They could be measuring the entire "suite" width difference, not just the seat. I can't comment because I didn't sit in F on the new config 777 yet.

Looking at the pix you reference there is definitely a difference. On the 777 the F seats are angled from the middle to the outside (towards the aisle) like the current herringbone C product on Cathay, Virgin, ANZ, etc. At the shoulder area, the width is definitely narrower than on the 747. Look at the 747 cabin and notice the seats are angled away from the aisle and the area at the shoulder appears wider. One of the major complaints pax had with the herringbone C-cabin design was feeling cramped at the shoulder causing Cathay to go with a new design where seats are angled away from the aisle rather than facing the aisle...this created a larger sense of space while maintaining privacy.

Again, I can't comment on exactly how seatguru got these measurements or which part of the seat/suite they measured, but they definitely show a 10 inch reduction between the 747/767 design and the new 777 layout.

Last edited by MaximusDamon; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:31 am