FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Information/Discussion of the Seating Updates to UA's International 777 Fleet [2011]
Old Jan 16, 2011, 9:52 am
MaximusDamon

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Regarding the seat width and why it's so bad in the middle seats is that between the other seats you have that wide armrest and then it gets wider as it moves away from the seat with the section where the tray tables are housed. In the MIDDLE that doesn't exist! You just have the narrow style armrest that you can move up and down (each seat has one - each is about 1 inch wide) and there is nothing else between you, so where the tray table section normally gives you a sense of your own space between the middle and aisle seat in the center section or the window and aisle seat, there is no such protection between the 2 middle seats...so when you cross your legs your foot is protruding into your middle neighbor's space. It really feels like economy.

So, I wasn't really having a bad day as one other posted suggested, but I admit it would definitely not be AS BAD if you're in a window seat because you have a little extra space between the seat and the window that is all yours or the aisle because you have that sense of free space next to you there. BUT for the middle seats (again, 10 on every 777 in C) you feel VERY cramped. It may be fine if you're traveling with the person next to you, but it's not fine for strangers, which I would say most C-pax travel alone for work.

I will also say that I noticed some middle sections have the foot rest separated because of the reversing forward/backward thing. Meaning in some of the middle sections the footrest is angled toward the aisle and away from the other middle seat. In my case, in row 6, they are angled towards the middle, meaning the feet of our beds are only inches apart...so that also added to the misery of the middle seats in row 6.

Seat guru does not yet address this...but you all should take note.

I would say if you are stuck on the 777 in new C, fight hard for a window or aisle on the outside seats. Then go for an aisle in the center and in that case take an aisle with the foot rest angled toward the middle so you don't get knocked by carts.

THEN if you get stuck with a middle go with the rows where the footrest is angled toward the aisle so you aren't rubbing legs with your middle seat mate.

The worst C seats on this plane are the middles with footrests angled toward the middle.

Hope this helps.

But I really think we should see if we can get UA to go with the new CO config for 777s and dump this product. It is a substandard design...seriously.

Another posted noted the FAs complained about this design. I heard the same. On my plane, the FAs mentioned that there is NO storage on this plane. Also, 2 weeks ago on a 747 upper deck from FRA-SFO, i was chatting with the FA who said she refused to work the new 777 cabin because it's so bad...too crowded, with no storage. At the time I didn't pay much attention...NOW I get it.

Last edited by MaximusDamon; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:02 am