FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - need some time/sun help!? AZ NM TX more
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:47 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
need some time/sun help!? AZ NM TX more

Early planning. Car trip, Srs. we try to avoid driving even into dusk. Headed to AZ, NM and a bit of TX in Mid-May thru early June. We live in SoCal(Escondido). Time should be same in AZ as CA by then, but is that the same or different in NM and TX (El Paso only)? Sun til 8 or so in CA at that time. What about NM?

NM-Driving from Santa FE to visit Salinas Pueblo Monuments (3). Portion of day and stop first. Moriarty is town with recognizable stays. Any comments on Mountainair for lodging. Seems a few choices with iffy data?! Our day will start about 8:30 or 9 in one of the 2 towns, then visit the three Salinas Pueblos/Churches/Ruins and then south on 55 to go to Alamogordo. Takes us on some unpaved roads leaving Grand Quiviara Ruins to get to 54. Any comments about these unpaved roads? 2003 Toyota Highlander

In Santa Fe NM we plan to visit Bandier Nat Mon, Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi, The Artchdiocese of Santa Fe (we are not Catholic)... , Palace of the Goveners, New Mexico History Museum, and Chapel of San Miguel Historic Site. We plan not to do Loretto Line Tour, Santa Fe National Forest, Mus of Int'l Art and regretably El Rancho De Las Golondrinas (we are too early for normal opening and the "early tours" do not meet our needs). We have 2 1/2 full days for Santa Fe and surrounds. As site seers history buffs, animal lovers, wineos,and short flat hikers, is there something to delete?add?

Near Alamogordo is a Museum of Space History. Iffy for time, given arrival latish, and next day visit to White Sands and Alameda Park Zoo.

In Las Cruces, somewhere around Old Mesilla Village is Gadsden Museum (505-526-6293?). Anyone been there? Comments? Price, hours address? Amaro Winery any good?

Tombstone AZ is on my wife's agenda, so my too...Read so many comments from various "generic visitors" but would appreciate any FT experiences. Given that we will go there and spend a full day (2 nights), I have selected to do Birdcage Theater, Courthouse/Museum, Crystal Palace Saloon (lunch), Historama and Fairbank Ghost Town. Skipping the gunfight recreation and the false cemetory. Comments or suggestions?

In Yuma we are pondering Cocopah Indian Museum and Quccham indian Museum. If only one, any experience as to which?

Thank you. I already have 150 hours into this trip, so looking for a couple short cuts on some items that locals might be able to help us with.