View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:39 pm
MDtR-Chicago
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by puchalskir
I think I'll choose the DT one.
Wondering how this turned out...

Also wanted to update the thread as I have been staying in Albany quite a bit lately:

Fairfield Inn East Greenbush: Had a few more stays here. Still my favorite option, factoring in price. They have a few rooms right above the front desk that are about 20% larger than the rest. There is also a "one double bed" room that is quite nice for a business traveler: instead of the second bed, there is a living area with no table - great for setting up an ironing board. (Note: The "one double bed" can also be an accessible room - but they are nice as well. Very well designed with a huge bathroom.) Front of hotel (odd numbered rooms) quiet.

Fairfield Inn Malta: Very accommodating, very nice studio suite upgrade, gift bag, just far enough from Albany to be annoying, also right next to I-87 so noticable road noise

Fairfield SUNY: Stayed twice and both times had depressing rooms. Dingy/dirty, poorly decorated, etc. Overall a rather depressing place.

Towneplace SUNY: Quite acceptable but had that classic odd cooking smell, no upgrade even though I asked (lots of Plats/Golds in house)

Towneplace Downtown: As mentioned above - active city location, decent rooms, no upgrade

Residence Inn East Greenbush: Very new-feeling, good service, but lots and lots of loud families in the common areas when I was there (on a Thursday)

EDIT: The Fairfield in Malta is running a contest - once they reach 100 people who "like" them on Facebook, they will give out a free overnight in a king suite. Search for their page on Facebook and you'll see it in the comments from November.

EDIT 2: Updated with new info about the FI East Greenbush. I've also stayed at the Springhill Suites Albany/Colonie which is a nice property. There are many family groups (youth sports teams, etc.) who stay here, especially on the weekends, so it can be a bit noisy. I had a "larger king (studio) suite" - had a cavernous living room. Could clearly hear the noise from the hallway. However, I turned on the HVAC fan and didn't hear anything after that. The bed was great and there were separate shower and toilet rooms. As it turns out, I know several people who work there and they are high quality hotel folk so service should never be a problem. I'll be back there again if it fits within my allowable rates.

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Feb 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm