FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Platinum Status: Yours to Enjoy for Another Year"
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:09 pm
Braindrain

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
While I am happy for you, things like this are deteriorating SPG very quickly. Gold is obviously worthless--available to anyone with a Platinum/Centurion Charge Card w/ Amex and so on. Just ask, and you'll be given gold status. Now, with the default 2 stays if you have an SPG Amex, I fear that Platinum is becoming watered down just as quickly. What ever happened to earning status and actually being an elite member of a particular travel program? Why do we have to make everyone feel good and included? I spent 39k at SPG properties last year, I should be treated accordingly. Someone who didn't stay at any shouldn't have the same status as me, plain and simple. Clearly, it's getting to the point that SPG need a level above Platinum that is more sacred. A few years ago, I was getting amazing upgrades at every hotel as a Plat without asking. Now, I have to argue and fight for them if I even get them at all.
I was waiting for the first rant.

Like ExpatSomchai, I disagree. First, I agree it's a way to reward previous loyalty. Second, if someone's not staying in a SPG hotel, nobody's going to be fighting you for your Plat bennies.