FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Platinum Status: Yours to Enjoy for Another Year"
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:56 pm
ExpatSomchai

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
While I am happy for you, things like this are deteriorating SPG very quickly. Gold is obviously worthless--available to anyone with a Platinum/Centurion Charge Card w/ Amex and so on. Just ask, and you'll be given gold status. Now, with the default 2 stays if you have an SPG Amex, I fear that Platinum is becoming watered down just as quickly. What ever happened to earning status and actually being an elite member of a particular travel program? Why do we have to make everyone feel good and included? I spent 39k at SPG properties last year, I should be treated accordingly. Someone who didn't stay at any shouldn't have the same status as me, plain and simple. Clearly, it's getting to the point that SPG need a level above Platinum that is more sacred. A few years ago, I was getting amazing upgrades at every hotel as a Plat without asking. Now, I have to argue and fight for them if I even get them at all.
Sorry but some people who travel and may stay 45 nights in 20 hotels get stuck with Gold where as with some programmes the accrued points would have given PLT. This is SPG'sway of rewarding loyal members.

Rant ends