FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are TSA Behavior Detection Officers Effective? No …
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:19 pm
tehiota

Originally Posted by oboshoe
I think I differ with most folks on FT regarding the BDO program. I support the BDO program in theory.

The big mistake that TSA makes, and the reason it is ineffective and offensive is that it focuses on "bad things" rather than "bad people".

There are an infinite number of harmful items that can be used to hurt people or aircraft, and an infinite number of items that can be crafted in the secure side of the airport. Banning and then searching for an infinite number of items is simply an exercise in futility.

For that matter, 99.999999% of the time, "bad things" on the airplane are perfectly fine. We accept for instance that guns are on an aircraft are fine....as long as they are carried by non-bad people. Otherwise we wouldn't have FFDOs or FAMs.

It's only when we have "bad people" on an airplane that we have problems. These "bad people" can cause serious problem even without a weapon or an item on the TSA "bad thing" list.

TSA will never secure the air by rubbing on our penis's and vagina's looking for bad things. TSA will never finish compiling that list of all the bad things that could hurt an aircraft/crew.

Only by focusing on bad people and their behaviors will TSA have any hope of catching their very first terrorist.

The BDO program just needs to be done right. 1 or 2 weeks of training isn't enough. Look to the Israeli's. They know how to run a BDO program.
Agreed. ^