FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How To Talk QR Into Waiving A Fare Rule
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:10 am
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I don't know how serious your post is, and I appreciate your "final note about Qatar Airways," but I resent your attitude a bit. Fare rules exist for a reason (i.e., a lower fare in exchange for less flexibility), and I think that it's really obnoxious to attempt to contact a senior executive of the company to indulge your "cat-sitting duties" against a relatively inexpensive fare. (If you had bought a $4,000 ticket and had a life-threatening medical situation, I would have more sympathy.)

And to conclude from your experience that CSRs are "useless" is blatantly unfair. The person you contacted did her job, in a courteous and professional manner (or so it seems from what you paraphrased). The fact that she articulated the circumstances correctly is more than you will sometimes get from CSRs on QR or other airlines.

I have no problem trying to get rules waived sometimes, and using your status as a loyal customer and other leverage that you have, but in such cases you should be grateful for the accommodation (which you are), as opposed to position-dropping and feeling like you are entitled to the change as long as you talk to the right person.