FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Infant Travel on AA
View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:48 pm
m123

Programs: AA-EXP 1MM
Infant Travel on AA

I am getting ready to travel with the wife and baby. The little one will be 2 months at the time of travel and I plan to book an infant seat for her rather that taking her in my lap. I know that some of these issues have been discussed before, but most of the relevant forums are a couple of years old and the newer ones deal only with the infant traveling as a “lap child”.

Using aa.com I get an infant fare that is no different from the adult fare (although the taxes are lower for the infant). In some of the older posts a 50% infant discount is discussed but the Wiki shows that it this has been discontinued. Does anyone have any recent experience obtaining discounted infant fares?

The wife, baby and me will be traveling on the same PNR. I am Ex Plat but the wife will lose her Gold status before the date of the flight (was pregnant and did not travel much last year). Normally I would just get a companion upgrade for my wife, but would the baby also get bumped up? (wishful thinking here!).

Also, there is a lot of talk about paying 10% of the business class fare if you get upgraded with a lap infant, but I assume that there are no extra fees if the infant has their own seat (other than luxury taxes and fuel surcharges in some markets), is that correct?

And finally, if I chose to use miles to get award travel for the baby's seat, would there be a discount in the miles needed? I am guessing not, but again wishful thinking!