FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EWR Doom & Gloom Thread for the [11/12-Jan-2011] Snowstorm
Old Jan 11, 11, 8:40 pm
timg

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Scheduled to leave China, connecting in EWR. What would you do?

What would you do?

I am currently in Shanghai, returning to Houston tomorrow. I am scheduled on CO 86 (PVG-EWR), then connecting to Houston, getting in about midnight, Thurs, Jan 13. I absolutely need to be in Houston on Friday, Jan 14. I am traveling business class.

What are the chances that snow will impact my travel at EWR? Should I keep this flight or look for alternatives? I spoke to the presidential platinum agent by phone, and they said to hang tight for a bit.

I have client meetings in Shanghai until mid-afternoon tomorrow, so I can’t leave here until around 5pm or later (meaning the 1.45 pm UA flight to SFO is out of the question). This means my options are:

1- Stay with the current flight. CO86 to EWR, then to IAH.

2- Switch to UA836 connecting in ORD. This is on a 777, and has, as best as I can tell, older non-lay flat seats, and no power at the seat. Not ideal from a comfort perspective, but should be out of any weather related issues. Likely that CO would transfer this ticket to UA.

3- Switch to AC26 (connecting in YVR, and then another stop in either Calgary, Denver, or Phoenix). The AC flight is great… but not a fan of the extra stops… and as a minor point, this doesn’t qualify as spending towards presidential platinum (not that it really matters). Not sure if CO will transfer this ticket to AC due to potential weather.

4- Switch to AA288 (connecting in ORD). I know nothing about AA long haul. Unlikely that CO would easily transfer this ticket to AA, but I might have some flexibility since I am a business class ticket.

What would you do?