FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:32 am
toomanybooks
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue
I'm trying to wrap my arms around this new program... Can someone explain "Tier Qualifying Points" and how to get them?

I fully understand that plusses and minuses of BS vs WGA and how the new program changes the dynamic..

Anybody care to opine how this affects people who primarily use the WN Visa but don't spend a lot of money on flights? I use my Southwest CC substantially (over 200K in spending a year) and rack up a companion pass and lots of award tickets.

Seems like my Companion Pass essentially is the same for me, and my award tickets will a function of price. What about the new status tiers? Can I earn those with large WN Visa purchases?
From what I see, Tier-Qualifying Points (TQFs) are analogous to EQMs on UA or MQMs on DL, except they are based on money paid vs. miles flown. You get them only by flying, or 1500 per $10K on the WN Visa preferred (new card).

35K gets you A-List, 70K gets you A-List Preferred.

I am in the same boat as you. It will be marginally easier to get CP with WN Visa spend ($110K vs $120K a year). As a MDW-based flyer, I often did not get max value out of redemptions, compared to coastal folk, who got to use their Award tickets for more expensive flights. The changes will even things out in that regard.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 6, 2011 at 6:37 am