FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Channel 10 news - LY's old fleet
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:24 am
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ELAL
Do you mean to say that Arkia is much better?!
No. Nor am I saying they're worse. El Al is a globally recognized brand, with an all jet fleet of nearly 40 planes; Arkia operates a fleet of around 10 planes, mostly turbo-tops, and is mostly recognized in Israel, as a cheaper alternative to get to Europe.

Originally Posted by entropy
So what? they could've been one of the first in line, and they could have them in the next year or two, they could outfit them with a great hard product in C (and F if they could).

But LY didn't want it; they wanted to buy some second-hand 767s and 747s. If they had kept their 787 orders they could've gotten delay compensation and avoided paying their cxl penalties.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Yes and no. They had initially ordered 787s and suddenly canceled their orders with no explanation. That I didn't like.
(Emphasis added)

As you can see, I agree with you in principle. They should NOT have canceled their orders, and if you look for the thread we had about their decision to cancel the orders (I don't have the energy to look for that thread now,) you'll see I was upset. It was a bad decision.
My point it was you quoted was that, considering it won't be ready for a while, the 787s aren't now the short-term fix. But I want them in the fleet to replaces the 767s just as much as you do