View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 11, 1:39 am
expert7700

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
I'd been testing several domain names since I knew they'd have a new one. But I hadn't tried the obvious newrapidrewards.com

At first read, the CP and A list expiration/grandfathering seems fair, as does the point top-off for those who are partially on their way to their next RR.

We knew it was coming, so nothing is a huge shock. The earning/redemption tables are overwhelming once you factor in 3 fare types, and 3 levels regular, a list, a list preferred. The multiplier ends up being a wash if you earn and rebook in the same category of fare.

I ran the #s for an trip tomorrow that I booked a few months ago, and a friend decided to join me using an award ticket yesterday.

A $300 cross country round trip I booked months ago on sale to the West Coast will soon cost 18000 points to fly using points instead of cash ($300 x 60 WGA points spent per $1 in free travel). To earn those points, that's $3000 in prior WGA spending. For commuters lucky enough to only fly on $29 fares, that's 103* $29 flights.

The award ticket was booked when WGA fares were gone and the selling price was $449 each way. New cost 89,800 points, which worst case would cost $14,966 to earn having booked all WGA fares. or 516 of the above mentioned $29 commuter fares. We redeemed a single award today, or 16 credits.

Rental car credit or hotel stay of 600 points per rental nets $10 worth of WGA fares, not bad at all.

The most serious disadvantage is for last minute travel. WN slowed down last minute award redemption with capaciy controls a few years back, but I could still look at the RR availability calendar to find a trip if the weather was bad in my city in the next few days. It seems this will pretty much eliminate last minute travel opportunities for me. I am glad to have been saving up my award tickets....

Last edited by expert7700; Jan 6, 11 at 4:25 pm Reason: clarified points required for $300 worth of travel