FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 2:55 pm
SFOSpiff

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Wow, makes my 15,000 MR for no other reason than earning another Elite Choice reward seem paltry
I did something even less worthwhile than that last week. Did a 15K MR to Sydney and all it did for me was earn me back the 2 SWUs I burned for the trip. In other words, no gain at all. Except feeding the travel bug. I figured, worse case - I'll be in Australia for 2 days, I can go sit on a beach. Too bad it never got above 22-23 C and rained most of the time.

Originally Posted by ajhno
I didn't see this asked in the pages that followed, but was curious, having not transited through SYD... don't US citizens need a visa even to transit Australia? Or was it just not as much of a pain, as say, China?
US citizens don't need to apply for a visa to visit Australia, but they do need an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization). It costs $20 (AU) and it gets issued within an hour or so of filling out the web page. I did it just days before my flight. (they're good for a year of repeat visits, but my previous one had expired)