FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Awards: AAdvantage Reward Bookings for Cars & Hotels (consolidated)
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:09 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pedropescador
When the other Airlines have gone BK, did the Frequent Flyer accounts of their customers get wiped out?
UA's did not, but that really was a guessing game back in 2002, and no one was in the wings offering to take them over if they did not come out of chapter 11. I had 800,000 miles with them back then and my account went down to zero within a few months as I was worried they would just dissipate. I flew in F to Australia and other relatives flew to Hawaii and Australia in those first few months after the bankruptcy filing. I really thought, at that time, that they would eventually stop flying and all my miles would disappear. Their unions were very vocal but did eventually take reductions in both salary and benefits.

In light of UA's bankruptcy filing, I would expect that if AA ever reaches that point I'd have a year or more to burn off miles. My bigger concern right now is labor strife at AA that might ground the airline in 2011.