Old Jan 1, 11, 7:26 pm
MoreMilesPlease

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
HGI Toronto City Center Trip Report

Here is a report of our stay at the HGI Toronto City Center
http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=YYZCCGI

We had tickets to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert http://www.priscillathemusical.com/ at the Prince of Wales Theater for New Years Eve (2010).

I had originally booked the Toronto Hilton using points for location and we had never stayed there. On Thursday, 12/30, a friend decided to join us if we could get things organized.

The Hilton was showing as sold out for paid rooms and reward rooms. I might could have called the DD ask asked for a second room but wanted to see what other options there were.

The HGI Downtown was showing sold out and no reward rooms.

The HGI City Center came up as a Point Stretcher for 21000 points for 12/31. I jumped on it and booked two rooms under the point stretcher! Canceled the Hilton, got another theater ticket two seats form ours and we were off!

The HGI is a nice hotel. The lobby is large. We checked in around noon and the front desk staff were very nice. I lost my paper with the notes and names, but the front desk agent from Grenada was very good; friendly, efficient, and entertaining. We were given rooms 621 and 619. The hotel voluntarily gave our friend in the second room a breakfast voucher, even though not required to, which was great. We valet parked the car ($30CAD). There are in/out privileges but we just left it till ready to leave. Because it was New Years Eve they made sure that every person in the rooms had their name on the reservation. They were expecting to be sold out and extra security was on the door that night.

The room was large with lots of space. The rooms are a bit dark because the windows are very small. But this is a city hotel and it's just the way things are some times. The furnishings were in good condition and the bed very comfortable. There was a flat screen TV, fridge, micro, desk, chair, couch, coffee table. There is an independent restaurant attached to the hotel but we did not eat there. The breakfast this morning was great. They have the usual cold cereals, yogurts, make your own waffles but also had a chef cooking eggs and omelets to order with delish bacon and pork sausages (the nice British style ones). Everyone this morning were absolutely fabulous and provided top notch service with a smile and conversation.

We checked out around 11am and instead of trying to put our stuff in the car, they held our luggage at the desk till we returned from more shopping. The valet was great and brought the car up quickly.

The hotel is a couple of city blocks off Dundas Square and the Eaton Center. The area immediately around the hotel is a bit run down and not very nice. But it was not so derelict that we felt unsafe (or any more unsafe than in any big urban setting). Driving here was so easy. Off the Gardner you take the Jarvis exit and the hotel is on the corner of Jarvis and Dundas. The front door and parking is actually off Jarvis.

I would recommend staying here.