FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta overtakes AA at RDU
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:42 am
DaveNC

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
LOL

However the business community here in RDU/Triangle area seems to be unified in demand for RDU-LAX. I am really not sure how either Delta, AA or WN can't make it work. I don't think DL help themselves making it a red-eye return.

Likewise given size of the hub I can't see how DL could not make SLC work. Like I said before if WN can make DEN of all places work fine DAILY for years I am pretty sure DL can make a success of SLC
Furthermore, for the hub-and-spoke airlines, Delta is somewhat non-competitive in this area. There are a number of destinations to smaller western cities that I can make with one hop on AA (through DFW) that require 2 stops on DL.

Having lived in ATL for 15 years before I moved here, I would not call RDU "sleepy." DL apparently thought is was worth trying to seize with the DMQM promotion, but I believe they would have better luck keeping long-term business here with a direct flight to points west. I keep hoping that maybe AS will pick up the RDU-LAX slack -- it would be a good second choice.

Of course,there was also the evanescent RDU-CDG, but that's another topic.