FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:25 am
MojaveJack

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by cotter77
Tried again with the Sacs 1$ at the coin star. First machine no good. Second machine worked a little, had to stand there for 15 min refeeding the coins several times. I'd say the machine acceptance to rejection ratio on the coin was about 1 in 10.

Put in 50$. got my stupid receipt, went to website and now I have to wait for the 10$ card.
Gave it a try today. Went to a CoinStar with $80 in $1 coins. Of the first roll it spit back about 9 of the 25. Took some on the second pass, some on the third or fourth. Some it just refused. I got the counter up to 38 but it ate a couple of coins w/o counting them. 40 coins in but only counted 38. I tried to find a store clerk to help and while doing so it timed out and spit out my ticket!

When I finally got a store person, they claimed I was charged a transaction fee. I argued with them for 5 minutes and they finally went to the machine and admitted it was a fee less transaction. But they had no idea what to do or who to call.

I called CoinStar and explained the situation. They said they'd make a note and when the cash is collected and hand counted, if they find a discrepancy they may issue me a refund. But they could do nothing about the bonus. That's from the participating merchant. She also asked about the store's response. She wanted to know if the store opened the machine. She said the machine has a phone inside and it calls CoinStar directly for support. If they had done that then they may have been able to resolve the issue. I guess I should have known better than to presume A&P staff would know anything more than where the machine was.

So I called Lowe's. The rep didn't seem to be aware of the promotion and after being on hold on and off for 15 minutes or so, he took some info and said it had to be escalated to another department for research. I'm hoping to get the code but not overly optimistic.

A&P gets for their total lack of knowledge on a machine in their store.
CoinStar gets for eating coins w/o counting them. If they make good I'll revise my opinion.
I'll judge Lowe's when I get the result.

Overall, not a good first experience.