FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:50 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Court won't accept $1 coins

I got in an accident going up to DTW for a mileage run sunday. Turns out that Michigan police are now taking your drivers license if you are from out of state as bond (I found out after the fact I had the option of paying a $100 cash bond but the officer didn't tell me that). Seeing I need the license I paid the fine today (the county had the day off yesterday in observance of the day after Christmas since the day after was on Sunday this year they got Monday off).

Anyway the fine was $140 and I had heard they wouldn't accept personal checks from out of state. Turns out they won't and they did take credit cards but it involved using some third party and paying a heavy fee so I decided to pay in coins. They refused to accept the coins. I was told to either go to the bank next door and cash them for paper currency or go to a store and buy a money order with it. I went to the bank (who I have had no previous experience with) and they cashed them out with no problem. The teller told me she had never seen so many of the coins before but had a lot of customers asking for them. I laughed and told her that I had plenty of the coins and she said they would be happy to take them (if she only knew how many I had LOL)