FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:56 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to SYDNEY (AKL-SYD) on Qantas 737-800 in business class

A fast run in by the bus was undone at the stop at domestic as several passengers debated with the driver as to whether they were at the right place. We weren't - they were all flying internationally, but it took some convincing. Over at international a short walk to the Qantas/Cathay Pacific premium check in lobby.

A quick swipe of my FF card and passport, a pause for 3 boarding passes to be printed, and I was checked in in under 30 seconds. There was no queue at the immigration desk inside the premium lobby, and so I quickly got the pre-clearance sticker and was on my way upstairs to departures. Normal immigration was fairly busy, and I noticed the new smartgate self-immigration kiosks for Australian & NZers over 18 with e-chip passports. Previously smartgate had only been available for arrival processing (and Australia arrival pre-processing), not departure.

The line for pre-cleared was short but not moving. A family of invalids (incredibly the group of half a dozen all were in wheelchairs or carrying crutches) were being processed with painful speed - no documentation filled in apparently. A queue built up behind me and eventually a roving officer suggests we skip ahead. The officer at the desk however was having none of this - please wait until I'm finished with this family. Despite the long queues in regular lines I would have been quicker going there than the "fast" pre-cleared line.

Eventually I was allowed to the desk where he gave a cursory check of my BP and passport and I was waved through. No sooner had I passed the desk, and joined a long line for security, than alarms sounded. "Please evacuate the building. Follow staff to a safe location. Please evacuate." Ah crud.