FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Closed - Motion Failed: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage of Motions
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:55 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

As noted in the previous lengthy threads on this discussion topic, I personally believe that it should not be an "easy" or "lightly" considered decision to change something about FT - be it a new forum or a recommendation to change some inherent feature of FT.

I think that 66.6% minimum of all those participating in choosing YES, NO, or ABSTAIN need to be vote positively for a motion. Yes, I realize that ABSTAIN is essentially a NO vote in that case - however, if someone felt strongly enough to not vote positively for something, then in my mind, they're voting against it.

Also, FWIW, we don't follow Roberts Rules of Order to the tee - we follow a relaxed version & this is the practice that has been followed for several years & I do not see a need to change it.

Originally Posted by Spiff
I agree with you.

I don't see a problem with the existing setup - one has the option to abstain and not have that abstention count as "not participating".

Agree. Both are current and past Talkboard members.

Not voting has ALWAYS been used by some on Talkboard to hopefully ensure a desired result, as both know.

I was on Talkboard for 2 years and saw that occur many times by many Talkboard members.

Bottom line SIX votes should always be needed to see any motion succeed.

That is how things have worked successfully for about 10 years, and there is no reason to change it IMHO.

If this motion succeeds it will be possible for a motion to pass with only FIVE of the 9 members voting for it, as far as I can see.

Last edited by gleff; Dec 26, 2010 at 4:30 am Reason: removed FT member first names from post