FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should have never tried Priceline...
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:23 am
BEAV

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by KS530
My issue with the site is that I feel it asks you to modify your search criteria in efforts to redirect you towards the rooms it's looking to unload. Saving $10 off the rack rate on a closet of a room doesn't seem like a great deal to me.
Priceline requires you make one change to a previously unaccepted bid if you want to go right back in and bid again immediately. A simple increase of your bid price doesn't constitute a 'change'. Keep in mind that Priceline doesn't determine the rates sold at any given property, but rather it's the hotel that decides. So with that in mind, when you place a bid Priceline's computer then searches for the highest rated hotel at your bid price. In your case I don't believe Priceline had an ulterior motive to redirect you toward a room it was looking to unload. There was simply no 4 star hotel that was willing to accept the price you offered. So you lowered your star quality on the next bid, and, bingo, there was a 3.5 star hotel willing to accept your price.

I'm sorry you had a bad first experience. Whether you return or not is of course up to you. However too many of us here have invested time over the years reading, sharing and learning from others and know how to get good results from Priceline (including saving money). If you have any interest in returning, I would encourage you read the bidding boards and learn some pointers so that your next experience will be positive.
Good luck!