FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should have never tried Priceline...
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:06 pm
KS530

Should have never tried Priceline...

Never used priceline before, so I figured I'd give it a try to see if I could score a deal on a off night at a decent hotel. (Please stop reading now if you don't care to hear me vent...)

I started with searching for a "4 star" at my base rate and all I got were notices that they were unable to secure me a room. So I changed my search for "3.5 star" at the same base rate. While my search came up unsuccessful, it suggest that if I raise my price by a specific dollar amount I should be in luck. So I do so.

(First suspicion - why wouldn't they have made a price-raise suggestion on the 4 star? Seems to me that they try to sway business towards a certain hotel by doing this...)

So I was booked at what I knew was to be a decent hotel. I then called the hotel to confirm my res only to find out that the room I was booked in was a "standard double". I looked on the hotel page to find out that a "standard double" has the same exact description as a "single" at their hotel and consists of a full size bed in 136 square feet of total room space. I was disgusted. I cannot believe that they consider a double bed in a 136 square foot space as being adequately accommodating for 2 adults.

I called priceline multiple times and was repeatedly told that nothing could be done to secure a larger room or even cancel my reservation. I understand I signed an no-cancel agreement but they were certainly not living up to their end of the bargain with the room they gave me (which by the way only ended up being $10 cheaper than if I booked it directly for the hotel). I'd have gladly paid a few extra dollars to book somewhere else and get a normal room suitable for 2 adults.

Essentially pricelines customer service didn't give a crap about my satisfaction and fed me every rebuttal in the book to the point that after my repeat explanations of feeling screwed over and requests for a supervisor the rep said nothing and sat still in silence for full minutes.

I then called the hotel directly and they said they'd have no issue canceling the reservation if priceline would call them and do so, however priceline had no interest what-so-ever in doing so because of their "policy". Fortunately the hotel was willing to upgrade my reservation to a larger room at no additional cost. No thanks to priceline.

I learned from my apparent mistake and this first priceline experience will be my last. Horrible customer service and scam of a site.